I love fishing it with a 2wt.
- How cheap the components are
- I don’t enjoy rod building
We have an upcoming trip to Newfoundland and the place is teaming with brook trout streams. Unfortunately my 2wt is 2 piece and as a traveling fly rodder musician and photographer I need to get everything compact.
So I went about my search for a 2wt combo that won’t break the bank. My logic being that I put my last outfit together for $150 ($60 kit, Martin reel and some decent Cortland line).
Now once you get to the 2wt end of fly rodding your selection greatly decreases. As well ‘they’ know that if you are looking for a 6′ 2wt, the addiction is strong in you.
SO I started with my Guide deal at TFO, combed the internet, sought advice on forums and the rod alone was going to cost more than my whole present outfit. Combine that with wanting to get one each for myself and my wife…this was going to cost me $800!!
So, once again, I find myself scoping around eBay. On a lark I searched for 2wts. At first I was getting results that were similar to my previous searches but once I narrowed the parameters to 2wt combos under $200 I found gold.
|Maximum Catch eBay Store Photo|
The store and manufacturer is Max Catch. I have a sling made by them and it is OK.
- Everything is made in China and renamed for various high end brands
- At $72 USD per outfit, how bad would it have to be to be a complete bust?
- Even if only the rod was any good I would still be ahead of the game!
- I will be using it to fish small streams for small fish…it doesn’t have to be that good